Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Anthem of My Youth


Recent writings at Secret Garden and Dharma Bums have inspired a spirit of nostalgia. Led me off down spirals of thought, long buried. Now reawakened. Rexroth’s Daughter’s musical reminiscences and ponderings made me think of my own early-mid teenage experiences of music. 1973/74. I feel privileged to have had at that time, as one of my two best friends, the friendship of a girl who had four older siblings (I am the eldest in my family). Johnny, her eldest brother, was somewhat of an eccentric music buff. With wonderfully eclectic tastes. It meant that I was exposed to albums my Pink Floyd generation might otherwise have denied me. Everything from JJ Cale, Traffic, Cream, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, through to The Moody Blues, John Lee Hooker, Van Morrison and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Amongst numerous other musicians. Any of which, heard now, produce intense stabs of welcome nostalgia. Although, through the ensuing years, it is Van Morrison who has constantly maintained the strongest position, in this regard. Moondance, the song, is probably the anthem of my youth.

5 Comments:

Blogger Adagio said...

hi lulu: feelings surrounding music are so individual. it has the capacity to round up so much emotion. pleasant and painful. is there anything to match it?

4:49 pm  
Blogger Kim Tyler said...

Beautiful post, and such nostalgic reminiscences of your musical roots. Thank you for mentioning my blog too - I had a good time remembering those crazy days.

4:27 am  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

So agree. The music of Van Morrison never grows old; it just grows deeper.

4:14 pm  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

I agree. The music of Van Morrison never grows old; it just grows deeper.

4:17 pm  
Blogger Adagio said...

welcome patry. van morrison is *such* a prolific musician. did you know he has just released a *country* album? hmm....not a country fan myself but bet it still contains that inimitable morrison trademark.

cheers!

5:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home