Friday, March 03, 2006

Reminded yet again of Goethe


Lying in bed this morning, I marvelled at the enigmatic human capacity to, on one plane, function with absolute competence, while, on another, managing the most simple and mundane tasks presents immense difficulty. Watching this phenomenon in the life of a profoundly loved other, elicits feelings of both compassion and frustration. But, surprise, no. I am too much aware of my own inconsistencies for that. Experiencing such an exhibition, from a third person perspective, forces me to reflect on my own inconsistencies anew. Reminds me yet again of Goethe’s words: Everything is simpler than you think and at the same time more complex than you imagine.

Virginia Woolf by Charles George Beresford

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim Tyler said...

Oooooh, very well described, and very familiar. I don't know, sometimes, whether consistency is a good thing or bad in one's life. It can sometimes be the result of risk aversion and thus make life very dull. On the other hand, it sure helps keep the world from spinning out in all directions. I'm sure you are a very balancing influence on this person you love. Gorgeous portrait of VW, too.

2:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She looks so much better than nicole bloody kidman with her fake hooter.

4:54 pm  
Blogger Adagio said...

jacq, I must agree. I couldn't stand the Nicole bloody Kidman intense, squinty stare either.

Sigrid, ah yes, a healthy balance is tricky. Surely consistency does not necessarily eliminate the ability/desire to take risks though.... it is a gorgeous portrait isn't it.

11:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home