Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Finding Jane Austen

I'm not sure why it took me so long to discover Jane Austen. Or, rather, I should say, film adaptations of her work. It was only this year that I watched Sense and Sensibility, with Kate Winslett and Alan Rickman, both admired by me. I loved it. This time it was the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice that came before my gaze. Starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen, the outstanding male lead from Brad McGann's (NZ) outstanding film In My Father's Den. Macfadyen, alone, was reason enough to hire the film. And he didn't disappoint. Keira Knightley, whom I had not previously been convinced by, was made for the role of Elizabeth. Astonishingly good, actually. Without giving any more information, may I simply say that the film was an absolute delight. One I could easily and enjoyably see again. Interestingly, the bonus features included the alternate US ending. A few minutes tagged on to the end. I feel compelled to say it was decidedly syrupy. I preferred the British version, which concludes at the end of the scene between Elizabeth and her father, played by Donald Sutherland. I appreciate knowing that the director acknowledged my own imaginative powers by not spelling everything out loudly.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim Tyler said...

Yes, I loved this film too. I'm a total sucker for any period piece, especially English themed classics like that one. The actors were terrific, I thought. Glad to find out it is now available on DVD....

2:15 am  
Blogger herhimnbryn said...

I too enjoyed this film. I liked the 'realism' of dirty fingernails and hair flying lose and the 'cattle market' atmosphere of the ball! I must sya I also thought Matthew was perfect too.
Pee Soup has also written a post about the film, you may be interested in reading.

3:55 pm  
Blogger talk said...

Hello..really curious of your site (and also the catchy title) while searching blogfriends in blogger. Great job, though!

3:57 pm  
Blogger herhimnbryn said...

OOOPs! I meant PEA soup!
I don't want to think about the alternative!

11:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home