Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Black Turtle Bean Soup


(I am in two minds about posting a recipe but, oh well, I have described DoubtEverything as a miscellany).

This soup is not beautiful but its deliciousness rates second to none. Insofar as my tastebuds are concerned anyway.

Ingredients:
11/2 cups black turtle beans (dried)
extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp cumin seed, freshly ground*
2 chorizo sausages, sliced
1 litre chicken stock
500ml water

Method:
Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain. Heat oil in large heavy-based saucepan and cook the onions, garlic and cumin until soft. Add chorizo and cook 2 minutes. Add beans, chicken stock and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for approximately 11/2-2 hours or until beans are tender. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Cool slightly and puree half the soup, minus sausage pieces, in a blender. Return to the saucepan. To serve, add a dollop of sourcream (opt) and sprinkle with chopped fresh coriander or chives.

*An electric coffee grinder is perfect for grinding spices. The flavour of freshly ground spices is incomparable

6 Comments:

Blogger Lulu said...

I didn't know chorizo was available in NZ. The only problem I saw during the three weeks we spent there was that there seemed to be no reliable Mexican food (dubious-looking restaurant in Rotorua with sign saying BEEF BOURBON MEXICAN did little to convince me otherwise)and I am not in the habit of cooking much of it myself. So, this new knowledge about chorizo officially settles the score: US 2, NZ 200.

I am wondering, though: what are turtle beans?

7:11 PM  
Blogger adagio said...

lulu: how long ago were you in nz? you can buy anything here. chorizo sausage has been around for ages. it is a staple item on my shopping list. here is a link to the mexican cafe in auckland. feedback re. menu would be good.
http://www.mexicancafe.co.nz/index_flash.htm

cheers!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

My husband and I were there in November/December 2004. I'll send you a link to the photos. We didn't go any further north than Rotorua so obviously missed the Mexican region of the country! That menu sounds pretty decent... perhaps they could be persuaded to fly me out for consultation? ;D That's reasonable, yes?

5:55 PM  
Blogger Sigrid Jardin said...

Hi, looks just yummy. I haven't tried using chorizo in black beans, but I will now. Thanks for the suggestion!

7:56 AM  
Blogger herhimnbryn said...

Hallo from Oz,
I too want to know what are turtle beans? Are they like blck beans?

10:56 PM  
Blogger adagio said...

herhymnbryn: very nice to see your footprint again. turtle beans are black beans, yes. smaller than a red kidney bean but bigger than an aduki bean. for further you can try this link: http://www.foodreference.com/html/artblackbeans.html

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home