Monday, June 12, 2006

A veritable feast


Had I a digital camera, I would photograph the scene out my window: A baker’s dozen of sparrows. Assembled together in the fig tree. Their grey and brown colouring matching perfectly the grey and brown of nude fig tree branches. This congregation has a purpose. Increasing numbers of sparrows now congregate here each morning. Along with blackbirds, thrushes, a variety of finches and the occasional plucky waxeye who dares to confront the ‘big birds’. Joining them, two new visitors: a welcome pair of fawn coloured ringneck doves, come from I know not where. And watching intensely from higher branches, surprisingly reticent mynas. Word gets around it would seem. All are eager to partake of the recently instigated daily buffet. Laid out upon the new bird feeder situated only feet from my window. A tasty mix of lard and seed, supplemented with a few slices of stale bread. A veritable feast.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim Tyler said...

What a rich description of the bird life outside your window. I am envious. I actually was given a bird feeder for my birthday in April. Since it went up in the yard, birds have studiously ignored it. I don't know what is wrong, but nobody is interested! I think I have to take it back for another model or something. Yesterday our friends (from the New Dharma Bums) were in town and DPR looked at it for awhile and said he thought the birds are unable to get the seed out of the wire mesh - a clue to what might be the problem. We have been torturing our birds, perhaps, unwittingly! Anyway, I hope your bird population brings you hours of joy and entertainment. There will probably be more and more as the word gets out! All best wishes...

3:57 pm  
Blogger Adagio said...

my bird feeder is simply a flat, narrow, canoe-shaped platform, attached to a long pole. in the morning, the food is simply laid out in a strip along its length. the lard/seed mix is very easy for the birds to access.

it took about 3 days for any bird to 'find' the feeding platform. the rest is history!

this morning there is a lone dove perched in the fig tree, with its back to me. earlier, it was feasting and is, for the meantime at least, feeling full-bellied.

11:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home