Tuesday, May 30, 2006

An ever-changing lens

For those who expressed interest in the Uncertain Space photographic exhibition: The exhibition opens in two days time. Though it is a group show, each of the three photographers will be exhibiting their work in separate rooms in the gallery. The photographer with whom I collaborated, Liz March, is showing 47 pieces, collectively entitled 'An ever-changing lens'. They include 10 excerpts from my writing, which have been laid over a variety of soft colours, tying in with the photographs they will be situated next to . Each work is A3 size. Some B&W, some colour. I saw the enlarged photographs a couple of days ago and they are quite superb. All credit to the photographer. I found it very interesting, and strangely moving, to see my words presented in such a way. Almost as if I were not the author. I hope to post some photos of the exhibition at a later stage.

I wrote a very brief explanatory note about myself, to accompany the exhibition. I have decided to post it here:

____ was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1992, aged 32. Over the ensuing years, the condition has gnawed away at her physical status, its progression sometimes unhurried, sometimes disturbingly rapid. Today, _____ is confined to her home in the foothills of the Waitakere Ranges, where she perceives life through an ever-changing lens.
We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are. Anais Nin

Photographer/Liz March

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get posting. I'm there is spirit. I like the exhibition title! and your synopsis of your life.

jacq

3:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say, Rebecca. Something about hoping I get to see the exhibition; about admiration for what I see you doing through your blog; about wishing the best for you... lots more too.

Th Anäis Nin quote is wonderful.

9:01 am  
Blogger Adagio said...

jacq: yeah, succint.

ulu: thankyou. and thankyou for telling me about the name. you will see i have now deleted it.

pete: yes, the anais nin quote is GREAT isn't it. and one of my favourites. as time rolls on, i find its truth to be more and more apparent. also, your kind words are very much appreciated.

11:54 am  
Blogger Kim Tyler said...

This is wonderful news, to have your work recognized this way. You must be thrilled. You are a wonderful writer. I wish it were possible to see the show. And thanks for sharing more about yourself. You have left many clues, so this fills in a few of the gaps. I agree with Pete in wishing you the best, and hoping that you have many good years ahead.

8:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home