Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Spoiled, for birds


Living here, in the Waitakere foothills, I am spoiled, for birds. Absent for a week recently, I was reminded of the avian privileges afforded by this location. My temporary viewing platform offered a very different and much reduced avian menu: ducks, seagulls, black-backed gulls and a couple of pukekos. While I have a soft spot for pukekos and the ducks were highly amusing and the black-backed gulls looked quite wonderful perched atop a visible street lamp, my heart cried out for the vast array of both native and exotic birds I am accustomed to observing on a daily basis. OK, lesson learned, I shall never again take my feathered garden residents and visitors for granted. Not that I was in the least aware of having done so.

Photograph/Kereru (NZ native wood pigeon)

6 Comments:

Blogger Kim Tyler said...

What a beautiful photo! I'm so glad you're back, have been missing your posts. I'm sure there is so much we all take for granted. The challenge is to be awake and aware every day, to the best of our ability!

10:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, what Sigrid said. That kereru looks as if it's been feeding up large on the autumn fruits. They're a bit quiet around here at the moment, but maybe it's just that I haven't been around much to see them.

Welcome back.

3:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are virtually no birds here, beyond the ones in cages, or the hawks chained to hawkers wrists. Some migratory birds out at lakes...but really bugger all. The deforestation is mostly responsible.

11:13 am  
Blogger Adagio said...

Sigrid and Pete....me too, I'm very happy to be back online. Feeling my way in again.

11:19 am  
Blogger Taradharma said...

stunning photo -- great sharpness and resolution. Lovely bird. I've been trying to photograph birds, and it's tough!

Came to your blog via Sigrid; glad I did and I'll be back!

I have friends who live near Lake Tapo -- she swims in it frequently. I've never been, but your country looks so beautiful.

4:25 pm  
Blogger Adagio said...

tdharma, hello there. welcome. i love nz's geographical features. and live in a wonderful location. only 20 mins from significant shopping centrres but up in the hills: dead end road, bush, birds, quiet. no street lighting!
are your lake taupo friends native nz'ers or transplants?

5:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home