Saturday, March 21, 2009

My Boy Jack


"HAVE you news of my boy Jack? "
Not this tide.
"When d'you think that he'll come back?"
Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

"Has any one else had word of him?"
Not this tide. For what is sunk will hardly swim,
Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

"Oh, dear, what comfort can I find?"
None this tide,
Nor any tide,
Except he did not shame his kind
Not even with that wind blowing, and that tide.

Then hold your head up all the more,
This tide,
And every tide;
Because he was the son you bore,
And gave to that wind blowing and that tide.

Rudyard Kipling

3 Comments:

Blogger pohanginapete said...

Great to see you back.

I hadn't realised how much Kipling looked like Nietzsche until I saw this photo.

11:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just checked my old yahoo email and found your message that you have started posting again.
I really like the quote under you new picture about peeling the layers off one's own opinion!

Now I'm off to read the more recent posts. And yes, I received the gauntlet - guess I'll have to start posting again myself. Argh. What will I say with no foreign country to hide behind?

jacq (anon because Ive forgotten my password)

12:21 am  
Blogger Adagio said...

Pete: I notice you have a new profile picture. Perhaps everybody is feeling the need to update themselves? It's good to have a change I reckon. Nice of you to comment on my lazy "quote somebody else" post and so tardy of me not to respond sooner. Apologies.
Jacq: and I really like your quote about peeling the layers off your own "opinion". Have you realised yet that I wrote peeling the layers off your own "onion"? There's a special word for replacing one word with another, unintentionally, but I can't think what that is, perhaps you can tell me. Great to hear from you anyway.

11:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home