Thursday, February 07, 2008

No complaints from me


I can see where the storyline for Jack and the Beanstalk was born. Each cluster of three bean plants, climbing up their tall bamboo poles, racing its neighbour. There is one clear leader. Second pole from the right. Every few days enough fresh, green beans are picked to satisfy a dinner time appetite. Mine. Steam until just cooked, sprinkle on a little salt and voila! Simple but quite delicious.

This glorious weather just goes on and on. And no complaints from me. The contrast between blue and green is something to behold. The green of fig tree and liquid amber, against the sky's faultless blue. A real spectacle.

Photographer / Linda Ruthe

3 Comments:

Blogger pohanginapete said...

Adagio, it's good to hear from you again. Glad you're enjoying the weather — I am too, but I also have a great empathy for the land here. The land, which is hardly even yellow-brown; now much of it's the grey of dust and long-dead pasture. The land, where a little green seems like great relief; where words like succulent and liquid have been exiled. I walk in the river which is seldom more than ankle deep, and try to remember rain. I suppose in six months' time I'll wonder what "desiccated" means.

The beans sound delicious. I love the scarlet of runner bean flowers; a glimpse of childhood.

9:12 pm  
Blogger jacqueline b said...

So good to have you back in cyberspace! I can only imagine the technicolours over there...here is wet and foggy. I have 5 basil plants in pots on the deck which i bring in each night to save from the snails.

8:59 am  
Blogger Adagio said...

Pete: The ground is dry up here too, the garden could do with a good downpour and many of my neighbours are having to buy in water. The view from my window is somewhat limited and it is all too easy to be seduced into the same that things everywhere are not as green as my 'valley'. Only yesterday, I heard them talking on National Radio about how desperate things are getting in the Waikato. Very hard to imagine.

Jacqueline: yes, back in cyberspace (to a limited degree) and all thanks to voice activation software. Those basil plants have a lot to be grateful for. At least, that is, until you decide to make pesto.

1:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home