Saturday, November 11, 2006

A cat and numerous birds

Today I am joined by Lucy, asleep in the chair with the yellow cushion. Company on this oftentimes grey day. And outside, on the bird table, a collection of small feasting finches. Two, rather yellow in colour, are collectively known by me as The Yellow Peril. Mynas, of which there are a fair few, are, again, collectively known as The Bully Boys. Mynas are so strange, and I've decided that is, at least in part, because they walk rather than hop. Pukekos, of course, are also walkers, walking as if they were wearing flippers on their feet. I must say that I am pleased they have not again invaded the small bird territory and helped themselves to the food.

Photograph/Liz March

3 Comments:

Blogger herhimnbryn said...

We have been visited by numerous Silver Eye birds these last few weeks. I think they are feeding on aphids on the fruit trees. They delight in their quick movements and sweet song.

Our 'bully boys' are Black Crows that hog the water bowls!

2:32 pm  
Blogger Kim Tyler said...

You write about birds I've never seen except in pictures or cages (minahs). Your world seems exotic and vivid to me - I'd love to be able to look out and see those down-under avian specimens. Does your cat try to catch them? Sorry for my long absence......I'm still checking your blog every day!

4:12 pm  
Blogger Kim Tyler said...

I miss you, and hope you are OK. This is just to wish you a joyous holiday season, and new year. I hope you will be posting again soon! I have enjoyed everything you've put up here!

2:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home